Toyota 4Runner insurance image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
Truthfully, the best way to get cheaper Toyota 4Runner insurance in Newark is to do an annual price comparison from different companies that sell auto insurance in New Jersey. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Read about how insurance works and the changes you can make to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as distracted driving and a not-so-good credit rating can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Tell your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new carrier. Don't forget to place the new proof of insurance certificate in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is that you use the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to compare as many companies as you can. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
We don't have to tell you that car insurance companies don't want you to look for cheaper rates. Consumers who perform rate comparisons will probably switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding more affordable rates. A recent survey revealed that people who did price comparisons regularly saved over $865 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the best rates on Toyota 4Runner insurance is your ultimate goal, then having some insight into how to shop for coverage rates can make shopping around easier.
Companies offering low-cost Toyota 4Runner rates in Newark, NJ
The companies shown below provide comparison quotes in Newark, NJ. If you want the best cheap auto insurance in Newark, NJ, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Statistics and details
The rate information displayed below highlights a range of insurance costs for Toyota 4Runner models. Understanding how insurance policy rates are established can help customers make smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|4Runner Sport 2WD||$402||$582||$532||$32||$158||$1,706||$142|
|4Runner SR/5 2WD||$402||$708||$532||$32||$158||$1,832||$153|
|4Runner Sport 4WD||$402||$708||$532||$32||$158||$1,832||$153|
|4Runner SR/5 4WD||$402||$708||$532||$32||$158||$1,832||$153|
|4Runner Trail Edition 4WD||$448||$834||$532||$32||$158||$2,004||$167|
|4Runner Limited 2WD||$448||$834||$532||$32||$158||$2,004||$167|
|4Runner Limited 4WD||$448||$834||$532||$32||$158||$2,004||$167|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and New Jersey minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Table data does not factor in specific zip code location which can decrease or increase prices considerably.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The illustration below shows the comparison of Toyota 4Runner premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in New Jersey. The data assumes no claims or violations, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to drop full coverage
There is no definitive formula to exclude comp and collision coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your Toyota 4Runner replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying in excess of $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some circumstances where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Why Your Insurance Premiums might be higher
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the rating factors that help calculate insurance rates. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower premium levels. Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but others are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
Too many insurance claims drive up premiums - Insurance companies in New Jersey generally give the lowest premiums to drivers who only file infrequent claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Cheaper to insure women? - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. It does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Females and males are responsible for auto accidents in similar numbers, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also receive more costly citations like driving under the influence (DUI).
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Toyota 4Runner auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Get hitched and get cheaper prices - Your spouse may cut your premiums when buying insurance. Marriage translates into being less irresponsible and statistics show drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Poor credit rating equals high prices - Your credit rating factor in your rate calculation. Insureds with very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. So if your credit history can be improved, you could be paying less to insure your Toyota 4Runner by improving your credit score.
A policy lapse is a bad thing - Allowing your insurance policy to lapse will be a quick way to increase your rates. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance could result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Get a ticket, pay higher rates - Having just one citation may cause rates to rise to the point where it's not affordable. Drivers with clean records get better prices than bad drivers. People who have license-revoking tickets such as reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to file a SR-22 with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents can increase Toyota 4Runner insurance prices for each different age category. The prices are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Toyota 4Runner insurance loss probability - Companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that the data shows to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will be charged more to insure. The table below outlines the loss history for Toyota 4Runner vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is equal to 100. Values under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 2WD||75||92||83||76||66||75|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 4WD||78||88||110||67||59||74|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Take policy discounts and save on Toyota 4Runner insurance in Newark
Some companies don't always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Good Students Pay Less - Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off depending on your company.
- Safety Course Discount - Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Auto/Life Discount - Some insurance carriers give better prices if you take out life insurance from them.
- Distant College Student Discount - Kids who are attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Multi-car Discount - Insuring more than one vehicle on a single policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Driver Education Discount - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in school.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Onboard Data Collection - Newark drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to track driving patterns by using a telematics device like Allstate's Drivewise might get better premium rates if they have good driving habits.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will definitely reduce your policy cost.
The example below shows the comparison of Toyota 4Runner annual premium costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The costs are based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, New Jersey state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-car, marriage, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, driver's education, anti-theft, defensive driving training, and student away at school.
- American Family offers discounts for Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, accident-free, bundled insurance, and mySafetyValet.
- GEICO offers discounts including defensive driver, federal employee, military active duty, membership and employees, emergency military deployment, good student, and five-year accident-free.
- 21st Century discounts include homeowners, student driver, defensive driver, 55 and older, and driver training.
- Progressive includes discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find affordable Toyota 4Runner insurance quotes, ask each company the best way to save money. Discounts might not be offered in your state. To see a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in New Jersey, click here to view.
Local Newark car insurance agents and auto insurance
Many people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Newark who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to your email address. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an insurance company should include more criteria than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Which family members are covered?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
Is an exclusive or independent car insurance agent right for you?
If you're trying to find local Newark agents, you should know the types of agencies that you can select. Auto insurance agents are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents can only write with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide other company's prices so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Newark that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Celia Caro
66 Wilson Ave - Newark, NJ 07105 - (973) 690-6400 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Anthony Pugliese
41 Wilson Ave - Newark, NJ 07105 - (973) 732-2105 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Christine Veliz
229 Bloomfield Ave - Newark, NJ 07104 - (973) 482-1975 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company so they can write business with any number of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you include rate quotes from independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many can place coverage with small regional insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agents in Newark willing to provide rate quotes.
- Rosa, Michael Rosa Agency INC
360 Lafayette St - Newark, NJ 07105 - (973) 589-7550 - View Map
- Arabo Insurance Group Inc
675 Bergen St - Newark, NJ 07108 - (973) 391-9595 - View Map
- Morais Insurance Agency, Inc.
217 Ferry St - Newark, NJ 07105 - (973) 344-2000 - View Map
What is the best auto insurance company in New Jersey?
Insuring your vehicle with the best insurer can be rather challenging considering how many companies are available to choose from in Newark. The company information listed below could help you select which providers you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Newark Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- 21st Century
- State Farm
- American Family
Top 10 Newark Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- The Hartford - 93%
- Progressive - 90%
- 21st Century - 89%
- USAA - 87%
- Mercury Insurance - 87%
- State Farm - 87%
- Travelers - 87%
- Safeco Insurance - 86%
- AAA Insurance - 86%
- American Family - 85%
What insurance coverages do I need?
When it comes to your policy, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Newark?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Who is covered when they drive my Toyota 4Runner?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Does my Toyota 4Runner qualify for pleasure use?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
You can lower your insurance rates
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to compare Toyota 4Runner insurance premium rates in Newark. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even discover the most savings is with a small local company.
People switch companies for any number of reasons including poor customer service, lack of trust in their agent, questionable increases in premium or even delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is less work than it seems.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
More detailed insurance information is available at these sites:
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)