It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Consumers who shop around annually will presumably buy a new policy because of the good chance of getting low-cost coverage. A recent survey found that consumers who compared rates regularly saved $860 a year compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the best rates on insurance in Newark is your ultimate objective, then having a grasp of how to get rate quotes and compare insurance coverage can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Newark is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in New Jersey. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- First, try to understand how your policy works and the things you can change to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that result in higher prices such as high-risk driving behaviors and a low credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies. Find a Newark insurance agent
- Third, compare the quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit the completed application along with a down payment to the new company. When you receive it, keep your new proof of insurance paperwork in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is to try to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to get rate quotes from every insurance company. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Lots of factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven. Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
The factors shown below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Raise coverage deductibles and save – Physical damage coverage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers your vehicle from damage. Some examples of covered claims are a broken windshield, hail damage, and burglary. Your deductibles define how much you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Most insurance companies will award discounts to customers that buy multiple policies. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Your location is important – Being located in small towns and rural areas can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. People in densely populated areas regularly have traffic congestion and higher rates of accident claims. Less people translates into fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Getting married equates to better rates – Having a significant other actually saves money on your auto insurance bill. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be less irresponsible and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
- Impacts performance impacts auto insurance premiums – The type of vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The cheapest insurance rates will generally be found on lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Youthful drivers pay more – Older people are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and usually have better credit. Inexperience drivers are statistically proven to be easily distracted when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you. If your Suzuki earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Never let your auto insurance policy lapse – Not maintaining insurance can get you a ticket and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance coverage expire. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines and jail time.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t list every available discount very clearly, so here is a list both the well known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Newark auto insurance online.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best car insurance rates as compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Paper-free Discount – Certain companies will give you a small discount just for signing your application digitally online.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency so companies will give you a small discount.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Waiver for an Accident – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a specific time period.
Remember that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Some of the larger companies that possibly offer some of the discounts shown above include:
When getting a coverage quote, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts may not apply in every state. To see insurers who offer free Suzuki XL-7 insurance quotes in New Jersey, click this link.
New Jersey auto insurance companies
Buying coverage from the highest-rated insurer can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Newark. The information below could help you analyze which insurers to look at when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Newark Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- 21st Century
In the end, you can save money
While you’re price shopping online, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, being labeled a high risk driver, lack of trust in their agent or even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, finding a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Some insurance companies do not provide rate quotes online and many times these small, regional companies sell through local independent agents. Cost effective Suzuki XL-7 insurance is possible on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection.
Additional information can be found at the links below
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Low Mileage Drivers in Newark? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Newark? (FAQ)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)