If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get cheaper Dodge Stratus insurance is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers in Newark.
- Try to learn a little about what is in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that cause rate increases such as your driving record and an imperfect credit history can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Read the full article for additional tips to get low prices and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application for your new policy. Don't forget to keep the new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
An essential thing to point out is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
It's an obvious statement that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Consumers who rate shop once a year are inclined to buy a new policy because they stand a good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. A survey found that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved approximately $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance in Newark is why you're reading this, then having a grasp of how to shop for insurance coverage can make it easier for you to save money.
Cheaper rates with these eight discounts
Some insurance providers don't always advertise all possible discounts very clearly, so below is a list a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Newark car insurance online. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you are just wasting money.
- Early Signing - Some larger companies provide a discount for switching policies prior to your current Stratus insurance policy expiring. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Newark drivers who agree to allow their company to look at where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Distant Student - College-age children who are attending college and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Multiple Vehicles - Insuring multiple vehicles on the same insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Anti-theft Discount - Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
Don't be surprised that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won't be that lucky.
The best insurance companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, driver training, youthful driver, safe driver, 55 and retired, and renewal discount.
- State Farm may include discounts for defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, good student, and multiple autos.
- Progressive has savings for online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- Allstate includes discounts for premier plus, 55 and retired, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, and new car.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include Farm Bureau membership, good student, defensive driving, easy pay, accident-free, and family plan.
- MetLife discounts include accident-free, multi-policy, good student, good driver, claim-free, defensive driver
When getting free Newark car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to every insurance company which discounts they offer. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers who offer online Dodge Stratus insurance quotes in New Jersey, click here to view.
Insurance coverage considerations
Having a good grasp of your insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage - Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Dodge Stratus.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision coverage - Collision coverage covers damage to your Stratus caused by collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox, colliding with another moving vehicle and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also increase the deductible on your Stratus to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive auto coverage - This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hail damage, hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane, rock chips in glass and vandalism. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage - Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses for EMT expenses, ambulance fees, doctor visits and surgery. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Auto liability - Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property. This coverage protects you against claims from other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers claims such as legal defense fees, repair bills for other people's vehicles and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. New Jersey requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be adequate coverage.
Compare insurance rates regularly to save
You just read many ways to shop for Dodge Stratus insurance online. It's most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Newark car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best price on insurance is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. They may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
As you quote Newark car insurance, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn't purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Newark? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Sentra in Newark? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Newark Auto Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Newark? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Auto Insurance in Newark, New Jersey? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)