The most effective way to find lower priced car insurance rates in Newark is to annually compare prices from different companies in New Jersey.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many factors that cause high rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a not-so-good credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for many different companies. View companies
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and switch companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new insurer. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep the new certificate of insurance in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is that you'll want to make sure you compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that the majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for more than four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Newark drivers could save nearly 40% a year by just shopping around, but they don't understand how simple it is to find cheap insurance rates.
Companies offering Dodge Dakota insurance in New Jersey
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in New Jersey. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you click on several of them to get the most affordable price.
Dodge Dakota insurance analysis
The premium table below outlines different prices for Dodge Dakota models. Learning more about how rates are figured helps drivers make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$226||$520||$678||$40||$204||$1,668||$139|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$226||$520||$678||$40||$204||$1,668||$139|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$260||$520||$678||$40||$204||$1,702||$142|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$260||$520||$678||$40||$204||$1,702||$142|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$260||$612||$678||$40||$204||$1,794||$150|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$260||$612||$678||$40||$204||$1,794||$150|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$294||$520||$544||$32||$162||$1,552||$129|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$294||$520||$544||$32||$162||$1,552||$129|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$294||$612||$678||$40||$204||$1,828||$152|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$294||$520||$544||$32||$162||$1,552||$129|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$294||$520||$544||$32||$162||$1,552||$129|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$294||$520||$544||$32||$162||$1,552||$129|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$294||$612||$544||$32||$162||$1,644||$137|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$294||$612||$544||$32||$162||$1,644||$137|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$294||$612||$544||$32||$162||$1,644||$137|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$326||$612||$544||$32||$162||$1,676||$140|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and New Jersey minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Price estimates do not factor in specific Newark garaging location which can influence rates significantly.
Careless driving habits raise auto insurance rates
The diagram below demonstrates how speeding tickets and accident claims can increase Dodge Dakota auto insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. The information is based on a married male driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Males versus Females
The example below compares Dodge Dakota insurance prices for male and female drivers. The information is based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost of full coverage in Newark
The diagram below compares Dodge Dakota insurance premiums with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The premium estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no exact formula for excluding physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's say your Dodge Dakota book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $300 annually for full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Car insurance policy discounts for Dodge Dakota insurance in Newark
Some companies don't list the entire discount list very clearly, so the below list has a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Smart Student Discounts - Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Senior Citizen Rates - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you could receive better car insurance rates.
- Seat Belts Save - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Federal Government Employee - Active or former government employment could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- ABS Brakes - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
As a sidenote, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, that's just not realistic. But any discount will lower your overall bill.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota annual premium costs with and without discounts applied. The prices are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, New Jersey state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, marriage, multi-car, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
Larger car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- Progressive has discounts for online quote discount, online signing, good student, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for youthful driver, pay in full, early shopping, multi-car, and distant student.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including driver training, multi-vehicle, safe driver, good student, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, anti-theft, student away at school, good driver, and safe vehicle.
- GEICO has savings for driver training, seat belt use, good student, multi-vehicle, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO includes discounts for drive less, anti-theft, accident prevention training, homeowner, teen safe driver, multi-car, and anti-lock brakes.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include good student, new move discount, hybrid vehicle, new graduate, safety features, and preferred payment discount.
If you want inexpensive Newark car insurance quotes, ask all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above may not apply everywhere.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Some people still prefer to go talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Agents can help you build your policy and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is you may find better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is sent to companies in Newark that can give you free Newark car insurance quotes to get your business. There is no reason to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to your email. If you want to compare rates from a particular provider, you just need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an company requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
Upon getting good responses to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance company that will adequately provide insurance. Just understand that it's your coverage and you can cancel your coverage whenever you want so never feel that you are obligated to any particular company for a certain time period.
Car insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Collision coverage - This pays for damage to your Dakota from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like crashing into a ditch, crashing into a building, sideswiping another vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole and hitting a parking meter. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your Dakota to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for liability - Liability coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other's property or people by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things like bail bonds, loss of income, emergency aid, repair bills for other people's vehicles and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. New Jersey state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be adequate.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers - This protects you and your vehicle's occupants when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle's damage.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Coverage for medical expenses - Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for expenses for surgery, nursing services and rehabilitation expenses. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive car insurance - Comprehensive insurance covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like vandalism, hail damage and hitting a bird. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Cheaper Dodge Dakota insurance in Newark can be found both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop Newark car insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
When searching for low cost Newark car insurance quotes, don't be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Insureds switch companies for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, delays in responding to claim requests, high prices or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More information can be read at these links:
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Elantra in Newark? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Newark Car Insurance Rates for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Newark Auto Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Teachers in Newark? (FAQ)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)